10th Annual Anniversary Meeting of the Science and Technology in Society (STS) Forum was held on October 6-8, 2013 in Kyoto
By tradition the event took place at the Kyoto International Conference Centre.
The Science and Technology in Society (STS) forum is a new international discussion platform aimed to combine efforts of people from various countries with different background for the discussion of the major science and society problems as well as the opportunity of the usage of the cutting edge achievements in science and technology to resolve the global issues humanity faces with. Representation the Russian Academy of Sciences at the forum is an important instrument of the fundamental research planning in Russia. More details about the forum see at: STS-Forum.
More than 1100 global leaders in science and technology, policy, business and media from about 100 countries, regions and international organizations participated in the forum. Russian participants are the following:
A.V. Dvorkovich – Government of the Russian Federation, Deputy Prime Minister
R.S. Alikhanov –Transport Group FESCO, President, Executive Director
M.V. Dmitrievich – Rosneft Oil Company, Vice-President
L.A. Bolshov –Nuclear Safety Institute (Russian Academy of Sciences), Director
V.G. Ignatiev – CJSC P-Pharm, Director General
S.V. Kalugny –OJSC RUSNANO, Science Chairman of the Board
E.F. Crawley – Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, President
A.K. Ponomarev – Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology, Vice-President
M.V. Rogachev – Russian Foundation of Technological Development, Director
M.V. Ugrumov –Russian Academy of Sciences, Advisor to the President on international scientific cooperation
A.R. Khokhlov – Lomonosov Moscow State University, Vice-Rector
A.B. Chubais – OJSC RUSNANO, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
A.N. Shishkin – Rosneft Oil Company, Vice-President
V. D. Milovidov – Rosneft Oil Company, Vice-President
V.A. Pershukov – State Atomic Energy Corporation ROSATOM, Deputy Director General.
10th Annual Anniversary Meeting of the STS forum was focused on the following issues:
- Compatibility of any future energy supply to the best standards of the environmental and social security.
- Nuclear security and non-proliferation.
- Global rules for ICT creation, including cyber security and privacy measures.
- Necessity for cooperation between academia, industry and government to ensure a sustainable global community.
- Science and technology diplomacy role for a development of the across-the-border cooperation.
- Increasing role of medical sciences (genomic and regenerative medicine, brain research, etc.) and a need for the development of an international cooperation system among industry, academia, public sector and WHO.
- Vitally important role of nanotechnologies and new materials in various fields of life including economic growth, healthcare and urban living.
- Climate change.
- World’s urbanization and necessity of creation more livable and human urban environments.
- Modern problems of the seas and the oceans and their role in the global ecology system.
- Continuing Earth’s population grow and human conditions for a long term perspective.